Our program is designed for males and females age 14-18 (grades 9-12) of any racial, ethnic, or religious background who have demonstrated extensive individual or family problems that require therapeutic services of a residential treatment program. Children accepted include neglected, abused, emotionally disturbed, and behavior disordered. Children with limited intellectual functioning are screened on an individual basis. Applications are accepted from agencies, hospitals, mental health professionals, and individuals.
In addition to this secure online application, applicants may also write or phone the Shults-Lewis offices during regular hours for application material. An intake evaluation of the youth and family is based on:
- Information from the family and friends of the family
- Review of school records
- Previous counseling and testing records
- A social history
- A pre-placement interview at the Shults-Lewis campus
Unless special conditions require emergency action, the admission process involves:
- Submission of completed application forms
- Scheduling of a pre-placement visit at Shults-Lewis for evaluation and interview
- Completing physical, dental, and eye examinations, including Mantoux TB test and supplying immunization records
If you would like an application for intake please contact Tammy Warren at 219-462-0513 ext 116, or e-mail us.